WHO WE ARE & WHAT WE DO
Voices in Action is 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that works to provide protection and safety from sexual abuse and violence while supporting survivors and fighting for impunity of perpetrators. We do this through a holistic and innovative umbrella of services that include:
- The ability to privately document incidents of sexual misconduct, abuse, assault, and rape;
- A timestamped email receipt that serves as an additional layer of evidence and corroboration of your story if or when you choose to come forward;
- The ability to track serial perpetrators with a unique system that sends optional alerts to individuals who name the same perpetrator as another individual;
- The option to discuss your next steps with trauma-informed legal counsel in your area at no charge;
- The potential to meet other individuals who named the same perpetrator as you under privilege and confidentiality if legal counsel deems it mutually beneficial;;
- Free services, advocacy, resources, and support for survivors
HOW DID IT ALL BEGIN?
Jessica Barth was among the first wave of Silence Breakers who spoke out against Harvey Weinstein’s history of sexual abuse and misconduct in the entertainment industry, which helped make Tarana Burke’s #MeToo movement turn into the viral paradigm shift that we know today.
It was a shift that was long-overdue and welcomed at large by the public and workers in the industry. But time continued to on and many grew frustrated with nothing more than promises being made but no real change. That’s when Jessica got to work decided to try to change things herself and Voices in Action was born.
VOICES IN ACTION TODAY
Over the past two years, Voices in Action has evolved from an email activism campaign to the nonprofit organization that it is today. As the first and only reporting system for the entertainment industry, we have built an incredible team of experts and professionals who are also deeply passionate and driven by our mission. We have dedicated our days (and nights!) to building Voices in Action what it is today– a leading reporting system and survivor support organization.
The work we have done over these past two years speaks for itself:
- Voices in Action has helped hundreds of people privately and safely document incidents of sexual misconduct in the entertainment industry;
- Voices in Action has been directly involved in bringing dozens of perpetrators into the spotlight and removed from their positions of power;
- Voices in Action has worked to build invaluable partnerships and relationships with other mission-driven organizations in and out of the entertainment industry along with top activists to continue to create the necessary bridges to affect change;
- Jessica Barth has helped spearhead initiatives to push through crucial bills and legislation including AB9, AB 51, and AB 749;
POSITIVE ACTIVISM AT WORK
We know that the effects of trauma do not end simply after survivors decide to come forward, but instead just the beginning. That’s why we stand with all survivors through the entire journey of healing, from the initial stages of processing shock and learning about next steps and options, to seeking justice and finding the space to heal among a tribe of survivors and supporters.
Our goal is not just for protection and prevention of sexual misconduct. It’s for eradication.